"Because life is good, home cooking is best, and there is always something to be grateful for." - Christy Jordan

Monday, January 31, 2011

Easy and cozy Taco Soup!

The weather is about to get nasty here in Dallas and cold weather always makes me want really warm and comforting foods, like soup!

This soup has to be one of the easiest out there, but the best part is that you can really put whatever you want in it. There are a TON of different versions that I've seen, but this is the one I like! I made it the other night for a meeting Mom had at our house the other night. So easy and so yummy!

Doesn't it look so good?!




Taco Soup (My Version)
 
1 can of yellow corn, drained
1 can of white corn, drained (or use 2 yellow)
1 can of Ranch Style black beans
1 can of Rotel tomatoes, mild
1 can of Mexican Stewed Tomatoes
1 package of dry Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing Mix
1 store bought rotisserie chicken, shredded
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 1/2 tbsp. seasoning mix (I like Johnny's seasoning, but something like Lawry's works)
1 tbsp. Mexican seasoning

Drain both cans of corn and dump into a large pot on the stove or a crock pot. Then dump the rest of the cans into the pot or crock pot and stir to combine. I usually add 1-2 cans of water or chicken stock so it is soupier (is that a word?). Add the shredded chicken and seasonings, then stir to combine everything.

If you're cooking the soup on the stove then just bring the soup up to a simmer on medium-high heat for 30 minutes; this allows all the flavors to come together and for the soup to get hot. If you're cooking the soup in the crock pot, then cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.

After the soup has been cooking for a while, taste the soup and make sure it's seasoned to your liking. If you like it spicy you could add more mexican seasoning, tabasco, creole seasoning or anything that would make it hot! I usually end up adding more of the garlic powder and the mexican seasoning.

Tip: This soup has SO many variations! I think the original recipe I had used browned ground beef, but the idea of ground beef floating around in soup makes me turn my nose up a little bit, so I just use shredded chicken. You could obviously use pinto beans instead of black beans, or a hotter can of rotel tomatoes. Do what you like! 

I always serve it with sour cream and shredded cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment